Grandma Maud’s Black-Eyed Pea & Sausage Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 45 minutes or more (varies based on preference)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 glove garlic minced or crushed
- ½ -1 lb sausage or shrimp**
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 6 cups water
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1 pkg Grandma Maud’s Black-Eyed Peas
- TT salt
- Over medium- high heat, brown onions and garlic in butter.
- Add sausage, tomatoes, and bell pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Add water and bouillon, bring to boil.
- Add Grandma Maud’s Black-Eyed Peas, boil 30 minutes or until beans are tender and desired consistency is reached.
- Salt to taste and serve.
** Shrimp can be used instead of sausage but add it at the end; if using pre-cooked turn off heat before adding; if raw- boil 5-7 minutes before turning off heat.